Tautai Contemporary Pacific Arts Trust is delighted to be able to offer the opportunity for an international artist to take up a residency in Auckland, New Zealand. This is a five week residency which is available to a contemporary Pacific artist during 2019.
Tautai was established in the 1980s and is dedicated to the development and ongoing support of Pacific art and artists. Â Â Tautai continues to pursue its goals of promoting and providing profile to Pacific artists and their work. Â The Trust maintains contact with the Pacific artist community and supporters through its regular communications and through personal contact. Â Â Tautai hosts and organises events, programmes and exhibitions throughout the year, providing a wide range of support to the Pacific visual artist community based in New Zealand.
TautaiÂ maintains contact with the Pacific artist community and supporters through its regular emails and newsletters and through personal contact. It organises a number of events and exhibitions each year and provides a wide range of support to the Pacific visual artist community based in New Zealand.
Dates -Â the dates are flexible.Â March is an ideal time to be in Auckland, due to the arts festivals and Pacific events that take place.Â Therefore previous residencies have taken place around February â€“ April, 2019.
Duration -Â 5 consecutive weeks
What is provided
– Return airfares for the artist to/from Auckland and reimbursement of travel insurance
– Reimbursement of any applicable visa costs.
– Accommodation for five weeks, i.e. the duration of the residency. Tautai will organise and book this, and it will be a central city location.Â Â The accommodation will have cooking facilities, as the artist is expected to take care of their own requirements for meals.
– Weekly stipend of NZD $500.00 (for a maximum of five weeks) for living and local travel costs.
Support is available from Tautai members and staff to cover any enquiries whilst in Auckland â€“ a nominated person will be provided for support at all times.
The residency offers a gift of time.
While there is no requirement to make art work during the residency, participation in the programme of events and the opportunities available will be expected.
The residency is offered to the artist only. It is a requirement that neither family nor friends stay with the artist. Short visits may be discussed and would be at the artistâ€™s own cost.
Conditions of residency
The artist needs to:
– Remain in residence for the duration of the residency.
– Be available for select media interviews, which Tautai will organize.
– Be available and able give public talks, such as talks to Tautai members and art students.
– Present a brief verbal or written report on their experience before returning home.
– Behave in a manner at all times that reflects the aims and objectives of Tautai.
– Acknowledge Tautai Trust in any promotional material and media information.
Criteria for Selection
The Tautai Trust Residency is available to a contemporary artist who fulfils the following criteria:
– A person of Pacific heritage, residing outside of New Zealand.
– A contemporary artist who is committed to a career as a professional artist
– Supplies a written statement explaining why they wish to be selected for the artist residency program.
– Supplies 1 – 3 references or statements of endorsement for their application.
– A person prepared to engage with the Tautai community of artists and supporters.
– Is of good character and health and wellbeing and must be aged 25 years or over.
– Can confirm that they will be available to take up the 5 week residency during 2019.
Applications must be received at Tautai by Monday 3 December 2018, 5pm
Please email your application to:firstname.lastname@example.org
Selection of the artist for this residency will be made by the Tautai Board and the successful applicant will be notified by mid December 2018. The decision of the Board will be final.
Download theÂ http://archive.tautai.org/tautai-international-artist-residency-2019-application-form/Â application.Â